Coronavirus Pandemic - QUARANTINED ITALIANS

Will the Pandamic Bring out our best ... or worst Qualitites? 


I , too, personally can see both things happening (bringing our worst and best qualities out) on media and in our own Santa Maria town. When the corona virus situation started, I did not think it would really bring us to where we are today. After going to a Fundraiser at Apple Bee's on Saturday morning (3/7), I went to Costco next. It was a bit early so we waited in the car. I noticed so many people gathered outside which troubled me. It made me feel like something was going on, which was and I was not aware of it at that point. But in that moment, it felt like I was in one of those media videos posted about Black Friday. Once Costco opened, people grabbed their carts and were running, literally running to only one area. I was curious so I left my mom and took my sister to see what was going on. I'm not the typical person to head to the crowd if there is a fight at school, but adults running was a totally another scary thing. The bottle water area was full with carts traffic where employers shouted 2 per card. Since then, I haven't gone out to a store but I have seen multiple videos online where the people are hoarding items and even fighting, sometimes even being disrespectful to our elders or Asians because of the stereotype that they are most likely carrying the corona virus. My father usually goes out to lunch with my my mom on work days. In the afternoon, he mentioned that he saw an elder man crying, Which did hit me hard. Not a while ago, long story short, he told us about how he helped an elderly stranger get up after not being able to stand. If my father had not been there at that moment, who knew what would have happened or for how much longer the man would be laying on the floor. I agree with Bekah, it is our turn as youth members of any community around the world to take care of our world and help others around us, especially the ones who cared for us. The Colvin brothers actions were a negative outcome that prove that us, as humans beings, are bringing more worst qualities out than positives. Many people are inflating these prices to the pubic and not everyone is getting a penalty. However, I think like Erica mentioned that this pandemic has also lead us to reflect how important our family is. In addition to seeing your comment, Mr. Orlick, on Areli's post that "we need to not forget that education has, and always will be, a privilege" connects to what I had to say to Dr. Preston's journal question "How is this going to work?" Even though school turned to virtual for those who want to continue, it will show who will take that advantage given and who is determined to keep up. However, I'll keep in mind that not everyone had the same advantages. I just hope that those who do have their necessary resources  would use them. But also balance their time and spend time with their families in a quality manner, not in which your there physically but not there mentally. 
I personally think that it is bring the best in me in a different way in which I am learning. There are chores and assignments to balance and more responsibility. Like Miguel mentioned: on the bright side we all have more time to sleep. I am actually enjoying it, these couple of days, as I have spent time reading, going outside in the rain with my sister to chase the cats who leave their dirty, spending more time to cook meals I never thought I would because I was limited with time, and bonding again with my sisters when all 4 of us can get along. For some reason, I am not as afraid as "overacting people" seem yet. I have faith that in the end we will overcome this all together. And if it does get worse, I hope people find solutions such as start to grow their own foods and find a way to continue to grow the fields to provide food for their community with the work and contribution of the community, and trade for the sake of all of us to get along and live more peacefully economically than conducting violence as a solution in addition to the fear we already have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

FORCING A SMILE

It's 7:59 a.m. I had to stay late night to finish an assignment and was woken up by my mother who insisted that 6:00 a.m. was already la...