A WELDING GAL

TRYING TO WELD 

Many students take the Ag Welding class to learn how to weld. To be able to weld, they have to learn the basics and have knowledge about the equipment before grabbing it. Having few guys, 5 to be precise, in my Ag Leadership class who have taken the Ag Welding I or Ag Welding II is a challenge. Most of them are usually working on making a stage, props, and such things we could use for the meeting. However, a couple of them, mess around or ditch the class. 

With not many hands on deck to help with the job, a brave girl volunteered herself.
Taking initiative as a close friend of hers, I offered to learn and help her build the trophies from scratch. There was other things I could help with like making posters with the whole chapter team. However, I personally did not think they needed more than 8- 10 people to work on it. In addition, as the chapter reporter, an officer, I decided to bring forth my duty. I am suppose to help and expand my knowledge. I learned how to cut 13 FFA emblems with a Christmas tree inside with a laser light (not the proper term, I believe, I mean I did not take any of the classes before). The brave girl who stepped up and a team of other few girls joined her to sand down the cut metal to have nice medallions without any sharp edges. She cut out a 3 rectangular pieces from a rectangular tube. She sanded the edges and started to weld on the first trophy.

 

On Tuesday afternoon, 12.10.19, I wanted to finish the trophies in order to paint them the next day and have them ready by Thursday for the meeting. Mr. Guerra only had an hour after school. I had finished cutting the emblems, however I could not keep going without welding the parts together. I proposed the idea to myself and was determine to finish. He demonstrated how to weld the part together and we practiced for the first 20 minutes taking turns between Monica, Jessica, my sister, and I. I was glad they joined me. Eventually we got the welding done in time before Mr. Guerra left. Our trophies had a few flaws, but was exceptionally great. Being exposed to it for the first time and having determination produced an amazing product for the FFA joint meeting of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FORCING A SMILE

It's 7:59 a.m. I had to stay late night to finish an assignment and was woken up by my mother who insisted that 6:00 a.m. was already la...